|The Development Division is implementing indigenous food production increasing programmes with the objective of ensuring food security through local food productions and minimizing import cost on food crops to fulfill the role of the Ministry of Agriculture towards building a self sufficient country through agricultural revival. In this endeavor special affection has been paid on cultivation of crops, vegetable and fruit. This Division is also offending to planning, policy formulation and implementation aspects relating to agricultural development.|
|The main objectives of the Development Division are as follows,|
• Take action to increase both production and productivity of selected crops with the participation of state and private sector institutions to ensure food and nutritious security at national level.
• Implement joint ventures with the state and private sector participation to ensure the availability of local seeds and planting materials to meet the requirement.
• Take initiatives to attract youth coming towards agriculture by providing necessary facilities for them to engage in professional agriculture.
• Provide opportunity for farmers to transfer from subsistence agriculture to commercial agriculture by enhancing production efficiency and productivity through initiation of research and technological programmes with the objective of facing global commercial society.
• Improve land use, management and crop cultivation methods in the cultivation of supplementary food crops, vegetable and fruit.
• Introduce mechanization, modern technology and value addition in the cultivation of supplementary food crops, vegetable and fruit.
• Diversification of the production of supplementary food crops, vegetable and fruit.